Monday, December 1, 2008

My Christmas Wishlist: For A Little Understanding Here

My parental unit was wondering what I was asking Santa for this year. So I concocted a wishlist for them. Like I said before I’m a girl of humble needs. I don’t ask for much in this bankrupt world. Just cloths on my back, food and shelter, maybe a nice platinum grill for my top teeth, some foie gras and an artisan cheese basket, a little sashimi and those nice warm little hand towels. I listed some things off for my mom then the conversation ended like this:

Me: “What I really want is just some comic books. It’s what I spend most of my money on.”

Mom: “Comic Books?”

Me: “Yeah like anything DC, Batman, Frank Miller, Alan Moore”

Mom: “We’re not getting you comic books. That’s….geeky.”

Silence.

In defense of all the four- eyed, acne plagued losers in basements across America, comic books are cool. These kids are not just a bunch of virgins salivating over some half naked sketch called Catwoman. They’re not! (hesitate) And even if they are, they’ll soon be the guys who write or sketch the next great Joker story and in turn get paid lots of money when it gets made into a movie.

In my defense, underneath the violence of comic book stories is a sort of prevailing morality. The superhero world is a world of absolute values. What was good was never doubted and what was evil suffered a fitting punishment. It’s our modern bible. A glimpse of a world of absolute justice, where morality worked the way it was meant to. I’m sorry that I want to live in a world of superheroes, instead of this day in age when the cowards hide in the shadows.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...I don't think I said I wouldn't buy you any...but really....comic books?!?!?! (you geek!)

wendybird said...

Holy long hair, Batman. Guess it's been awhile since I've seen you. Ever studied vintage comics in Pop-Culture theory? So very fascinating, but then again, I'm a lit geek so. . .

Ash said...

I took a pop culture class and we had a brief, way to brief, section on comics. Wish it lasted longer.

Stephanie said...

I just love your mom!! I love all stories involving her. They are some of my funniest you tell.

Stephanie said...

P.S. You are not Coop anymore. You will now be known as Cohen. I hope you can deal with that. It's not a downgrade just a change. People change. Can you handle that?

Chellor said...

You are a geek. And we love you :D

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Travyst said...

So I'm searching the web for a picture of a keep and pull up your blog. Then, unlike myself, I read it. You're a good writer. You should do something with it. Ever thought about writing comics yourself?