Friday, January 2, 2009

Homage to 2008

2008 wasn’t really full of all the accomplishments I had expected back with naivety in 2007. But that’s the beauty of life. It’s not scripted. Happiness and accomplishment are self-defined. We create our own paths and we write our own endings. And I imagine my path or my book will be marked with all the peculiarities that could only define me.

If I could write a brief synopsis, of a potential chapter out of a series from my life under the section “2008” it might go something like this:

There I was 365 days ago, ringing in 2008 on a Boeing 757, accelerating through tropical rain, away from tropical places, toward snowy places and the new year. As the flight attendant counted down to midnight I had wished we were actually counting forward, flying backwards in space and backwards in time, that I was actually spending the rest of 2008 in Kauai. But we can only move forwards.

Memories flash like the flicker of the big screen. There I am. Thom Yorke, Ray LaMontagne, Robert Redford, Luke Wilson. There all there in my 2008 synopsis, I doubt I’m on theirs. Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Hollywood. The big screen flashes The Sundance Film Festival and I remember feeling like the center of the universe. 2008 gave birth to self-discovery. I discovered I love dancing funny. I discovered cheese is better than chocolate. I discovered Batman and that I am him.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(Thats my Bat mask.)

1 comment:

Michael said...

C mon ash cheese is better then chocolate? Honestly what did you do with the real ashley!?