Thursday, October 15, 2009

"What the Hell Kinda Picture's That?!"

I went to Mexico a while back with my friend Jennie and her family. One evening we were walking along the beach, the sun was disappearing into the silvery sea, palm trees were perfectly framing an ideal shot. I think dolphins were jumping out of the water. And Jennies mom asks “Why is Ashley taking pictures of the garbage?” And that’s when I discovered something was wrong with me. Everyone's camera was pointing westward and I had mine pointing at a pile of trash and a rotting fish.

So I like decaying, rusting, rotting things. I’d hang that fish carcass on my wall and everyday I'd wake up and think "How beautiful!"

I took this picture just the other day and some crazy old construction worker walked by and said, "What the hell kinda picture's that?!" Its my favorite kind.

Well I don't think I'm alone. I walked into F-Stop Cafe the other day and was blown away by this artist. Kelly Larsen. He's incredible. He uses industrial objects as well as decomposed, putrefied and oxidized materials from the earth. Check him out.

No comments: