Thursday, January 3, 2008

Dream Places

Went to Kauai for Christmas and it was awesome. I think Kauai is the most beautiful place on the earth.

Hanaleitarofieldspalmtree

Kauai is one of the few islands that have fought the tourist plague that has washed through other quaint Hawaiian towns and replaced them with ABC stores, coconut bras and hula girl bobble head dolls.
Side thought: Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.


Hananlei, a stubborn town that has fought the plague as well. It seems to been winning, but money talks and always wins. I’m dreading the day the quaintness of Hanalei meets the ogre of tourism.

Hanaleifivewaterfalls

In Hanalei Waterfalls spring up at random down the green canyon walls into taro field valleys. Floods close rivers and bridges and nobody cares. And when it rains its stays 80 degrees.

floodedRoadsHanalei

A hammock, a camera, a notebook and pineapple juice is all I’d need for the rest of my life in Hanalei. I could go there and never come back.

People are lazy here, and why not? Words in sentences are taken out if they are not absolutely necessary. Hawaiians have taken out the western mans need for excess and corpulence. It’s called pigeon. One of the few things the Hawaiians hold on to.

In Kauai there are more roosters than people. They are beautifully colored like the island.

crazychickens

Even the dirt is deep red. And it paints everything it touches like my shoes. My Hawaiian souvenir: my red, once white, shoes. With all the hurricanes the locals build their houses on stilts. It looks like a circus of houses balancing carefully.


Kauai Lighthouse



Kauai is a treat for my senses. Fresh fruit from the tropical garden. I had banana macadamian nut pancakes with coconut syrup almost every morning and pineapple juice. Everything is spectacular and breathe taking. Summer dresses are always in style and sweaters are always out. And it rains and washes the red dusty roads and the trade winds chase the sun westward. Kauai is a dream place not just because of its price tag.

Koithousandscrooked

Last thought:
There are four ways to make something (a place) yours. Or I guess, four ways men feel like a place can become more than a place to them:

1. Build on it, fence it off, put a flag in the dirt (modern man, western mans mind set)
2. Paint it, photograph it (the artist)
3. Hike it- defeat it in some way
4. There is one last one but I wont say what it is here

I tried to make Kauai mine by taking an excess of pictures check it out.

My Kauai Photos

No comments: