Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Spoonful...

It seems maybe I have a complex. Maybe we all do. An unadvertised side effect of modern day is the fear we are barely existing. Barely existing in a system that forces us to memorize nine numbers and deny we have souls (Bright Eyes). We find ways to deal with this dilemma. Myspace and Facebook pages and blogs that scream out “I existed.” Here’s my favorite song, listen it’s playing! This is my sexual orientation and my picture! I took it with my cell phone with my shirt off. Aren’t my muscles big? And I love chocolate! Do you love chocolate? Radical, then comment on my page. Look aren’t we totally existing?

Jokes aside, I have my ways of dealing with it too. A couple months back an older man came into my restaurant all by himself. He was really interesting, as most people who come in by themselves to dine and drink expensive wine are. He was a writer. He told me I should write for an hour everyday, even if it is garbage and it usually is. It’s usually vomit on a page, that’s what I call it. But I have noticed a difference in my writing and how clear my mind gets. I think everyone should write for an hour a day.

The next step: My friends and I are all writing individual short stories. Each story has to be written under the same title: Chasing the Green Fairy. Then we’ll bind them in a book. I think its going to be one of the coolest things I own. I’m really looking forward to the final product.

Moral of the Story: (besides my friends and I are working on the coolest project ever!) Everyone should write for one hour every day. Docs orders (well actually the writer on table 9).

No comments: