Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Birthday Fiesta and a Brief Venting...

Glad to know some things never change. Some things stay consistent which is hopeful for a girl as hopeless as myself. I mean specifically my friend Lori never changes. And such consistencies make me happy. What a ridiculous human being. And I mean the finest quality of ridiculous.

Last week I participated in a Girl’s-Night-Out, which is a rarity for me. A guy at work once asked me to set him up with my friends, another friend butt in “All Ashley’s friends are guys.” Which is not completely true, however all my girlfriends are in relationships. So Girls Night was foreign but refreshing to hang out with a whole table full of people who had their reproductive organs on their insides. Even more refreshing, spending the evening with friends.

some thoughts…

How underrated are our friendships? Our relationships get put on the backburner for whatever we feel is more urgent. We have resorted to a more convenient way of maintaining friendships, texting, blogging, facebook. There are friends I haven’t seen in years, no worries though I know that “JOE is…just finished my calculus exam!!!” via all the ploys of virtual friendships that make us feel like we aren’t living alone in this world. We have replaced quality with quantity, as our facebook friendships stack up and the intimacy of relationships dwindle. Technology, modernism, self-promotion, individualism destroy intimacy, community, value. And now we wonder why we feel more and more alone when we're surrounded by masses in the Lonesome Crowded West (Modest Mouse).

One of the few things that matter at the end of the day are the relationships we have with other people. One of my fears is that approaching the end of my life I’d look back and regret a faded relationship. And surely when my bones are arthritic (I think they already are) and I have to blend my food up into mush (which I also kind of have to do cuz my wisdom teeth are rearranging my face and I have no dental insurance) it will be the things I cherish most.

NOTE: This however doesn’t mean I’m ready to delete my facebook and surely not my blog. IM JUST A ROBOT IN THE SYSTEM.SYSTEM> STYSME sddkkkkk...a broken system.

No comments: